Fight Hunger Patch Project – Choices Patch
Examine the difficult choices facing those who are food insecure and the many ways that hunger is multifaceted.
- Visit this map on the Feeding America website and scroll over each state to learn about the rate of food insecurity, estimated assistance program eligibility, average meal cost, and the additional money necessary to meet food needs. Choose three states and compare their statistics. Why might they be different?
- Learn about Healthcare and Food Insecurity by viewing the interactive data regarding food insecurity and healthcare costs. Use at least three of the interactive tools to see how each field changes expenses.
- Calculate a Household Budget for an individual with SNAP benefits. Change each field to learn about different states, income levels, and living expenses.
- Complete the Basics in Building a Budget activity.
- Learn about the importance of budgets. (Daisies-Juniors) (Cadettes-Juniors) New links
- Learn about The Future of Hunger in America. Discuss three things that surprised you. (Cadettes-Ambassadors)
To Read and Discuss:
- Visit the Feeding America website and scroll to read the stories of four Americans and their different experiences with food insecurity. Talk to your family and friends about how the graphics and stories made you feel. Did anything surprise you?
- Read either Bringing Teens to the Table: A Focus on Food Insecurity in America or Impossible Choices: Teens and Food Insecurity in America. These briefs are part of findings released in 2016 that address food insecurity in the United States.