Receive news via email
Hunger has no boundaries
Feeding America’s Map the Meal Gap study shows that hunger exists in every county in our nation. In Kansas and Missouri, there are hungry people living in sparsely-populated rural counties, suburban communities and urban centers.
In Harvesters’ 26-county service area, one in eight people is food insecure. Food insecurity means that a person or household may have food today, but does not know if there will be food tomorrow or enough food for everyone in the household.
In Harvesters’ service area:
• 341,080 people are food insecure and missing an estimated 58.2 million meals annually.
• 13.3 percent of people in our region, or one in eight, is food insecure.
• 40.6 percent of those individuals at risk of hunger in Harvesters’ region are likely ineligible for federal nutrition programs such as SNAP (food stamps), WIC or free and reduced-price school meals.
Children are often among those most in need of food. In Harvesters’ service area:
• 105,320 children are food insecure.
• 17 percent of children under age 18 in our region, or one in six, is food insecure.
• Only 57 percent of the food insecure children qualify for federal nutrition programs such as SNAP (food stamps), WIC or free and reduced-price school meals.
Learn more about Map the Meal Gap 2019 here. Nationwide information can be found through the interactive map below.
Check out the Map the Meal Gap interactive map above and learn more about household and child food insecurity in your community.
Who is Hungry (See results of latest Hunger in America study)
The Impact of Hunger
Missouri Hunger Atlas provides county-level data about food insecurity in Missouri.
Household Food Security in the United States 2019, Economic Research Service, USDA.
Income and Poverty in the United States 2018, issued 2019, US Census Bureau.
Feeding America is the nation’s largest domestic hunger relief charity. Harvesters is a member of Feeding America’s network of more than 200 food banks.
Food Research Action Center (FRAC) is a national nonprofit organization focused on the issue of hunger.
• FRAC Kansas Profile of Hunger, Poverty and Federal Nutrition Programs
• FRAC Missouri Profile of Hunger, Poverty and Federal Nutrition Programs